Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 62

It is sunny but very cold today. The track is quite lumpy and is really only good for jogging. The weather looks like it will be much nicer towards the end of the week when temps are supposed to hit the 60's.

I haven't talked much about my assistants, Cherie Devaux and Thomas "TC" Stuckey, in the blog except for a passing mention. Both are not only valuable, hard working employees but friends as well. TC and I worked together for Allen Jerkens in the 90's in New York and when I had the chance to hire him in 2000 at Churchill, I didn't hesitate. He has taken strings of horses for me to Turfway, Tampa Bay, Fair Grounds, Keeneland and Arlington Park and always done well.  TC is an extremely hard worker who does a great job but also truly cares about the horses. He isn't afraid to do anything himself, often jumping in and putting on bandages or tacking up horses along with his regular assistant duties. He is willing to go without complaint wherever I need him and always tries his hardest.

Cherie Devaux is the daughter of one of the first trainers I worked for when I was a teenager in Saratoga. She has worked for me since I hired her as an exercise rider in Saratoga in the summer of 2004. Cherie has a great work ethic and natural instincts for horses and I more or less forced her to become an assistant. She is avery good rider which is an asset but also has a great feel for where the horses are fitness and soundness wise. She also brings to the barn organizational skills that I definitely lack. Like TC, Cherie also cares a great deal about the horses and her approach to her job is based on that. She handles much of the paperwork which I detest and is in charge of the employees which is a thankless job.

I wouldn't trade my assistants for anyones. Both will give me their honest opinions on issues even if it isn't what I want to hear. I have complete trust in both of them and know that I can rely on them to take care of things in my absence just as I would want it done. If my assistants weren't as good as they are it would be impossible for me to expand into other area's such as the bloodstock business and the launch of Bluegrass Equine Center. Being an assistant trainer is a tough job that demands long hours and dedication. I consider myself  blessed to have two of the best.

1 comment:

  1. I think TC and Cherie are great also! Very accomodating.

    Chuck, I love this blog, thanks

    ReplyDelete